Tuesday, 8 May 2018

The Heat Is On

Venue: Viaduct Match Lake


Weather: Misty, then hot and sunny (yes, it can happen!)

Tackle & Tactics:  

Daiwa Pellet Waggler, 4lbs line, Middy weighted waggler, 14 hook, corn (soaked in Mainline Peppered Tuna liquid.  Cast out into the corner margin, set at just under 3 foot (just off the bottom)

Daiwa Phantom Carp Rod, 8lbs mainline, Small paste bomb, 14 hook, banded pellet.  Cast towards main island (not tight though).

Wow! What a Bank holiday.  Finally someone has turned the temperature on.  Unfortunately I couldnt enjoy it on Saturday as I had a Speed Awareness course on. I wont moan here though as I've been going on about it for weeks.

Anyway Sunday was a whole different kettle of fish (ahem).  I was out with the Brother-In-Law.  Now the weather has improved he is out hunting the Carp once more.

Our destination was Viaduct Fishery and boy was it bust.  Match on across 3 lakes leaving Spring, Middle and Match.  I was going for Match as I figured that the weather would have stirred the F1s into a frenzy!

Meanwhile Jase vanished into a dark corner of Spring Lake.

I got set up.  Some chaps on adjacent pegs were catching which was a good sign.

I plopped in a few handfuls of 2mm pellet into the margin to my right and float fished corn over the top.  Then I cast out the paste bomb loaded with Bait Tech Green.  Within five seconds the alarm went off and line was stripped! 

A quick start!

The float stayed quiet with a few very tentative pulls.  But it was the ledger that was getting all the action with another few good fish taking the bait.

F1s - lovely fish and they fight with a strength beyond their size

Jase wandered across and had been asleep (I had a feeling the beverages from the night before had taken their toll.  He wasn't in full Carp mode yet and enjoyed sleeping I think!

Things quietened right down mid afternoon.  If I'm honest I did take my eye off the ball a bit.  I was just enjoying the rays!

Next door to me a chap and his son were catapulting in bucket loads of dog biscuits and the Carp were going mad.  At least a dozen or so were cutting through the surface.  This feeding frenzy benefitted me indirectly as the biscuits and other assorted treats slow drifted my way.

I began catching fairly consistently again.  Both on the float and the ledger.  Lost a few as well.

F1 in nice condition 

 This fella was the biggest at around 5lbs

This fella had an injury to his mouth. Split at the bottom.  
Some careless angling perhaps.

I could have stayed another few hours if time permitted as I'm sure the evening time would be even more frantic!  

I'm looking for a good Tench as so far I've only had one small slimer.  Hopefully I will be out again on Friday evening for a couple of hours so I'll try then.

No comments:

Post a comment